View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Recently, I was in a store and I saw the Canon LiDE 700F. I noticed that it also has one side without a frame. The glass plate goes right to the edge, so it should be possible to scan a book right up to the spine. But so far I haven't read anything about scanning books with this scanner. However the price is pretty good: 100€ (about $135)

So is this scanner good for scanning hardcover books ? Or what else cheap scanner would you suggest ?
Unless you are willing to cut your books apart, stay away from the Canon LiDE series scanners. They are USB powered scanners that have a very limited depth of field. Anything not dead flat against the glass will be blurry. They are probably good scanners for smooth paper and being USB powered makes them somewhat portable, but they would be useless on intact books.

I use a Fujitsu ScanSnap s1500 to scan my books. It's a bit pricey but it is fast since it's a duplex ADF. It's intended for office paperwork reduction so scanning quality is not photo quality but for books it works well. Output can be individual .JPGs or PDFs or one can have the PDFs concatenated into a single PDF. It comes with Adobe Acrobat Standard

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 08-03-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote