View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 10:47 PM   #14
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Some DNF's that I remember off the top of my head:

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Plains of Passage - Jean Auel
Runner - Patrick Lee

The Dumas book - I just don't like the old style of language. Too stilted and boring. I was falling asleep between sentences. I like the story, and enjoyed the movie, but reading it as originally written by Dumas - not my cup of tea.

The McCarthy book - Written in short broken sentences, where a thought often spans multiple sentences. Too choppy for me to enjoy. I like a writing style where chapters flow into the next chapter, paragraphs flow into the next paragraph, and sentences flow into the next sentence. In The Road, it felt like I was trying to put a train of thought together after it had been run through the shredder.

The Auel book - I think I just grew tired of the story. I like the story. And it surprises me that I grew tired of it. I think it was one of the many caveman sex scenes, or one of the long diatribes on medicinal plants that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I can't remember what finally drove me off, but I think it was Ayla being enraptured watching wooly mammoths having sex.

The Lee book - I like Patrick Lee's writing style, his other books, and even the first 1/3 of Runner that I made it through. But then he introduced a new villain that disgusted me. I don't like reading about mentally ill folks with voices in their head telling them to go kill someone by hitting them with a hammer. I assumed that this new character was going to play a large part in the rest of the book, and I just don't enjoy reading about sickos. Just a few pages reading about him made me discard the book. What a shame ... it was a good book. I still may go back to this one some day, based on my like for Lee's other books.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote