Thread: ACeP color eink
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I started my programming career in the late 1960s programming a 1.5 million dollar computer that took up half the floor in a building that took up a full city block in downtown Houston. This was years before computers had screens.

My first ereading was done on an HP 95LX, an 11 ounce computer with a mono screen and no light that ran on 2 AA batteries and could run MS-DOS software. It had a speaker that could only buzz a bit. It's screen was very low resolution but I could read on it. There were no ebooks to buy and wouldn't be for years to come.

These days I read on a Samsung Galaxy S5 (and on a Kindle) that has probably 10,000 times the speed and probably more than a million times the capacity of that first computer and has an amazing screen as well. Reading on it is a snap. So is listening to books or watching videos.

The first one cost 1.5 million. The 95LX cost about $600. This Galaxy S5 was $200 brand new from Pure Talk a couple of months ago.

Yes things have gotten better.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote