View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Toad View Post
Thanks for the replies. A few points in response:

To be clear, I am not talking about ghosting on page turns that are not complete refreshes but variations in the font weight (usually heavier).

Some fonts seem to be more susceptible than others. I agree, Charis SIL seems to have less of a problem, also Delima.

I'm not so sure that it's a problem inherent to e-Ink; ghosting certainly is. The Kindle Paperwhite, which I also have, appears to be less affected - maybe it's the algorithm use to generate the fonts on non-refresh page turns?
When I noticed an issue similar to what you are mentioning, it was with font that were quite light weight. Looking very closely at the display, you could see the remnants of the previous text. Using either JSWolf's Charis Sil Modified Larger or DejaVu Serif, the issue is still there but the heavier font weight seems to reduce it's visibility. I'd be tempted to refer to Charis SIL Modified as being close to a semi-bold weight.

One of the items I seem to remember Jon mentioning was that Charis SIL Modified Larger was intended to match the weight and size of the Kindle fonts.

One experiment to try is to double tap the center of the page to see if this clears up the font issue by forcing a page refresh (the write white, write black, write white, write page step).

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 07-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote