Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #829
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arikfunke View Post
I finally got everything to compile at least. One issue I was the following:

conf\ConfigurableSetting.java:36: error: cannot find symbol
public abstract SettingPanel getPanel(SettingChangeListener listener);
^
symbol: class SettingChangeListener

The problem is:
- JBPatch core files depend on "ConfigurableSettings",
- which in turn depends on "ConfigurableSetting",
- which depends on the UI component of the conf component,
- which of course I removed as it won't work on K3.

How do I cleanly decouple the UI part from the configuration part of the code? Is it ok to just comment out the following line? (Plus the corresponding imports at the top of the code...)

Code:
public abstract SettingPanel getPanel(SettingChangeListener listener);
Or will this have unforeseen consequences down the line?
In fact, you don't have to leave anything out. If the UI part of the patches compiles, let it compile and be happy.

Java loads classes on demand (=when they are first requested). If nobody requests the UI part of JBPatch, the corresponding classes will never actually be loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arikfunke View Post

If that is ok, I am ready to try it out on the K3. Regarding the startup script your wrote:

This sounds like there is a very real chance that the framework won't start and I will be locked out of the kindle. How will I recover from that?
No, I didn't want to scare you away. Chances are that everything just works. I'm not just posting random code - in fact, I believe that it will work. But I won't guarantee that it will (quite simply: I couldn't test it), and there is always some risk, until somebody actually tries it. From what I understand, you are willing to try it - and I assume that you also know the risks, and that you can handle them (and that you know how to get your device back into a working state, in case something fails). But this is your duty, not mine.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote