View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #44
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, actually Dropbox doesn't work at the file level... it creates a patch of the binary changes.

I mean, it is robust in that if it sees that the file it has a change for doesn't match the same base that it got the change from it won't apply the change. So... the corruption you are concerned about won't happen.
I'm worried about a change in memory that Calibre is holding as you work, but that Calibre has not yet written to the file. I'm worried that dropbox will change the file after Calibre has read it, but before it has written the change you just typed on the screen and which is only in memory. I worry that this possibility is why Kovid says don't run two copies of Calibre at the same time.

Maybe I worry too much and corruption isn't an issue. Maybe Calibre locks all files early enough that dropbox would never step on any of the parallel threads Calibre has running. I just don't know. Are you sure you do?

Quote:
Sure... they will get out of sync and you will have to remedy it.
And this is something that less sophisticated users need to be aware of. Then they can choose if they want this risk and have the ability to deal with it. Maybe they don't care about occasional bits of data loss that need to be manually recovered by reconciling conflicts and they can ignore it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote