Thread: KDP Select
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #35
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
That one reader who finds you on B&N or Sony or Apple or Kobo or wherever just might be that one vocal champion who tells the world what a discovery he or she has just made, who gets the word of mouth campaign up and running. Why would you not want a chance to reach that reader?
But what if reaching that one reader means losing three others, any one of whom may be that "vocal champion"?

I know that some people take it personally when you stop supporting their chosen format. I understand that. But rather than spending all of their ire on the author, they might save some for the retailers whose poor marketing has allowed Amazon to achieve this level of prominence.

The other retailers offer a second- or third-rate shopping experience, poor marketing, and me-too devices, while Amazon was busy for years creating the ereader market and honing their online shopping experience and marketing. They established the Kindle as the brand name to beat, almost synonymous with "ereader," as Kleenex is to facial tissue. The other retailers also squandered their only advantage...an open standard...with their own, incompatible DRM schemes.

There's plenty of blame to go around.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote