View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #1255
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Kindle Paperwhite

It's here already!
Last status report 1 week ago said: "Expect delivery last week of December"!
And then it said: "Shipped, give 3 to 5 days for shipment".
This was yesterday!
As always: Amazon over-delivers!

Same box as for Kindle Fire HD. I like this kind of consistency.

Wow! It's tiny, even a bit smaller than Kindle touch. And extremely light!
Doesn't feel or look cheap, though. Way better build quality than nook HD for example!

Design is almost identical to Kindle touch, no physical home button though.

The screen feels a bit "rougher" than usual. Doesn't matter, but you can feel it's less smooth than touch screens normally are.

I'm directly comparing to Kindle touch.
I never had a problem with the "grey on grey".
But boy oh boy: I see, why they call it "paperwhite".
Enormous difference!

And again: Free 3G! Globally! Love it!!

Verdict for now: Love it! Flawless, it seems!
Update: #§$/(((&!! Out of space, no more storage. Just saw in the specs: Kindle Paperwhite only has 2GB of storage!
Kindle touch as 4GB.
2GB is way too limited. Obviously, Amazon's idea: Cloud.
Yes, you can access the cloud anytime. And of course 2GB allow for some 500 eBooks.
Still: I have ca. 700 eBooks from amazon - and I want them all.
Huge letdown. What would have been the uplift for another 2GB? 20 Euros?...

Thumbnail mode is nice. But at least 40% of my 703 eBooks, originally bought from Amazon, lack a cover. The title is shown instead.

Over all, still a great gadget. But I'd really prefer 4GB and an alternative display mode (thumbnails only for the ones with actual covers, list for the rest or something like that)...

Edit: I'm still struggling with the 2GB of internal memory. Of my 703 Amazon books, I've been able to download 589. Certainly enough for the next trip. And given the free 3G, I'll be able to delete some and download another one of the 114 books wherever I am.
Still: I don't like this! Not at all! I'm a collector. One of the charms of eBook readers to me always has been, to take my entire library with me.
Now I'm forced to select.
Okay, I'll delete all books I already have read from the device. But given my purchase rate, I always will have to fight with the limited storage space.
Why? What's the price difference for 2GB?
I understand: Probably they fixed the price point first (WiFi-only less than 130 Euro) and only then decided about the configuration. But why not add models with more storage?
PW
PW + 3G
PW + 2GB + 3G
Anyway... With the exception of this annoying little flaw, a great device.
And I don't have any problems with the uneven light, some (many) describe. Yes, it's not perfectly even. But why bother? My living room isn't perfectly lit either. When sitting on my sofa, or even worse when in bed, the light source always has some weird angle over my shoulder. There's always some shadow or reflection on the display anyway...

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-22-2012 at 05:47 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote