View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #62
Michele Clinco
Michele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with others

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, DR1000S, Kindle 3 & 4NT, Various Android devices
Hallo.

I'm reporting my positive experience in the installation of Kite on a Kindle 4NT with firmware v4.1.
The goal was to start CoolReader 3.

The approach I chose was to install it using the kite.sh script executed via SSH using the USBNET. The script I used is the one you can download in the first message of this thread.

Launching the script as it was did not work, so I looked for what was wrong:
In Kindle4 the system startup is not made with the normal linux runlevels, so the directories "/etc/rc5.d" and "/etc/rc3.d" do not exist and are replaced by "/etc/rcS.d" that is equivalent to the "/etc/rc5.d".

So, the command "ln -sf ../init.d/kite /etc/rc5.d/S62kite" must be replaced by
"ln -sf ../init.d/kite /etc/rcS.d/S62kite",
the line "ln -sf ../init.d/kite /etc/rc3.d/K07kite" has to be removed and as consequence the following line of the kite-uninstall.sh file "rm -f /sbin/kite /etc/init.d/kite /etc/rc5.d/S62kite /etc/rc3.d/K07kite" becomes "rm -f /sbin/kite /etc/init.d/kite /etc/rcS.d/S62kite"

I did not test the installation with a new script but I first manually extracted the files (the kite shell script, the kite executable) then I copied them to the proper destination locations (/etc/init.d, /sbin) and executed the diffrerent "mntroot", "chmod and "ln"

After this everything worked and I could use CoolReader 3!
Michele Clinco is offline   Reply With Quote