View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #14
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
Those ridiculous high prices that you see on ebay are most likely supported by people who live in places to which Amazon will not ship. If you live in one of those places ebay may be the only easy source for the item.

This isn't a problem for someone selling. Ebay is a seller's market. If all you see are buy-it-now prices that are higher than Amazon's, it's a perfect environment for you to sell your used kindle for just a few $ less which makes it look like a bargain by comparison. Ebay can be a terrible place to go if you're a buyer because there is almost always some dope out there willing to pay more than you.

You can easily see how much used Kindles sell for on ebay by doing an advanced search and checking the completed listings box.

This forum is populated by people who know a lot about Kindles and what they cost. Compare that to ebay where you run into people who just fell off a turnip truck, have never heard of a Kindle, and don't know what a reasonable price is. I know which type of buyer I'd rather have bidding for MY used Kindle. OTOH, if your goal is to move it as quickly as possible, the forum here would be a good place to unload it cheaply.

Craig's list can be a good option because you won't have to ship the item but you have to be willing to put up with flakes who don't show up when they say they will or having weird people show up at your door.

Buy-back programs are always a bad deal compared to selling the item.
Definitely great advice. That final option (if you're not looking for $) is to just give it to someone who doesn't have an e-reader as a gift. That's what I plan to do with my K3 if the K4 (if it is a non-tablet device) is something I purchase eventually.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote