View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #29
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Or, as Spinal Tap put it:

So you don't think the Nook Color/Tablet and the Kobo Vox are sold as eReading devices? You don't think sales of the Kindle Fire in any way impact sales of other Kindle devices?
Did I say or imply that? If you want to debate me, try to stick to what I actually say, not what you wish I had said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Current eInk readers are nowhere near matching the resolution of a printed page.
Some pages, but as I use an eReader for reading what are basically mass produced novels, not Hi-Res art magazines, their resolution is effectively as good. If I want to look at something Hi-Res I will use my iPad or a MacBook with a Retina screen. If I want to just read a copy of Finnegan's Wake, the Kindle DX is little different to an original copy of the book.

You can split hairs all you like, you can nominate coffee table books with a resolution sharp enough to give you paper cuts from across the room. The issue that I am discussing is that unless ePaper has a massive improvement, not just an improvement that cannot be noticed by the average reader, it is not likely to start overnight queues in the street the night before release. The demographic who love eReaders is not the same demographic who can't wait for the latest smart phone or gaming device. Look at the sales figure demographics, look at the age demographic for eReaders. They are highly represented among Baby Boomers, not teenagers.

This started with a whinge about "it is time they upped the specs on ePaper" not a whinge about the huge problems that people were having with existing ePaper technology. Look at eBay, Craig's List, your local classifieds. There are far more pads, computers, smart phones etc., than recent model eReaders. People aren't in a rush to part with them. Some, those who are primarily driven by ego, not need, to upgrade, will as always race out and buy the latest gadget. Many who own current technology won't unless they can see real improvement.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote