View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #65
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
>> Ok, I confess: I find it somewhat "funny", when one would rather spend 299,-- bucks instead of 9,99 just so his principles stay intact.
What's "funny" about it? I honestly don't understand. I agree with tompe on this.
A. I spend $ 9,90 and get new features I want/need for my reader.
B. I buy a new reader with said features for $ 299,--.

I'll do A and find it somewhat funny when someone does B just because he's so fixed on his principles, he can't or won't reconsider.

Quote:
The device manufacturer is under no obligation to produce new features -- only to fix bugs so that the reader works to its originally marketed features.
100% ACK and this should always be free!

Quote:
Of course, manufacturers do compete with each other on features, price, reliability and service. It is up to the manufacturer to decide which features to add in order to compete (listening to one's customers can be useful here, of course).

If we start going down a road where each improvement is an added cost option, it's not really good for the customer (who could be sold bare-bones models with all sorts of "options" packages -- confusing and likely more expensive in total), nor for the producer (who has to support numerous configurations).

The best way to handle this is to provide different hardware models/versions, where the "standard" model has fewer features than the "higher end" model. Of course, if the only difference between the two models is software, customers are less likely to view this favorably; if hardware differences are also involved, it's quite common and accepted (e.g., Sony 700 vs. 505).
Sounds OK to me...

But look over at the iPhone and it's Apps - works fine and is THE promising market at the moment.
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote