View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #23
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thank you for your informative reviews and opinions. I very much appreciate them. I have a lot of Verne in ebook format, but have only read one of his books - and that was years ago, before the advent of ebooks.

One thing, however: Could you, when the information is available, supply the translator and/or publisher that you are using for your reviews?

Thank you!
You're very welcome. I always write goodread reviews so that I can have a personal record of what I thought about the books I read, and I thought collecting these could be interesting info for other Verne readers.

Sure, I wouldn't mind sharing the info I have about the translator/edition. The thing is, I'm not sure it would be useful, because I'm reading a Spanish collection that I have had at home for ages. From what I have seen, they use old 19th century translations with some corrections/modifications. So the vocabulary or expressions are old fashioned sometimes, but I don't particularly mind, because these are 19th century books after all, so it fits that they'd have some old-fashioned flavor.

Would it be useful for you to know the name of the translator for these Spanish editions I'm reading?

Regarding the English translations, some of the old, open domain ones have a reputation for taking liberties, and one is famous for basically rewriting a different book (the one I mention in my review of Journey to the Center of the Earth). In general it seems good advice to use a modern translation when possible, even though they are not free. But I can't really give an opinion about the old ones, since I'm reading my Spanish editions.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote