View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #16
db105
Zealot
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most versions of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea are missing 23% of the book. It should say someplace that this was added back in. If not, it hasn't and it's thus incomplete/abridged.
Well, the edition I have has around 141K words. I have gone to Project Gutenberg and got the complete French edition, and it's 139K words. Translations may have a different word count from the original (for example, a novel in Spanish will usually have more words that the same novel in English), but French and Spanish being so related I think it's safe to say that my edition is not missing 23% of the book.

It's quite possible that there are some shorter paragraphs or details missing, though.
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote