View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Brilliant as with everything else you do! If that became the "gold standard" of publishing, I could see future scholars looking back at how it used to be in the olden days when they had static paper books with numbered pages and non-changeable fonts.

Since I'm no longer an e-device user and had to trade to laptop in order to see the pages, I've experimented with eReader and Mobipocket. They both handle pagination differently, but neither is as good as my gone-but-beloved EB-1150. It had the status bar scroll, with 0 at one end and at the other end of the bar had 947 (however many pages), and your page number in the little oval that scrolled along. So for my machine, at any time, I could tell you that I was on page 234 of 947 pages. That was exact, unless I changed font sizes. Then I might be on page 156 of 678, but I still knew where I was in the book.
calibre's ebook viewer actually uses a progress indicator based on the length of the actual content (number of words), independent of reader screen size and font size.

All that's needed is for reader software makers to agree on a couple of simple algorithms:

1) Calculate the "length" of a book based on its word count
2) Assign numbers to every "block" of text. The natural block being a paragraph.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote