View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I should probably add that my software uses an 'out of the box' OS feature to monitor my major Calibre library folder trees for additions, changes and removals done via Calibre, or Sigil on an ePUB, or Word on an RTF etc etc. Its probably the same 'out of the box' OS feature that Calibre uses to monitor the folder nominated in the Add Books Automatic configuration.

Since the monitoring is done asynchronously my alternate views of my major libraries are kept in near real time synch with the Calibres view of those libraries. I measure time in intervals of a few seconds - in this instance "near real time" is typically < 200 msecs - plenty fast enough for me.

I keep other data... direct and via folder and file symlinks... in the same folders that contain the symlinks to Calibre's book folders. Including videos, radio podcasts, spreadsheets, presentations, emails, blog posts, recorded telephone conversations...

If this sounds all too complicated for you, then it probably is. Its also why I do not even want, let alone expect, Calibre or any other End User application to do it for me. Heck I don't even want the OS or file system to do it - we've been there too - WinFS

Agama & Lynx Lynx, if you happen to be reading this, you might remember my Supplementary Custom Column idea that we kicked around last year, the above describes its replacement.

The End

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-01-2013 at 09:03 PM.