View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does symlinks even exist for Windows?
Remember, calibre runs on 3 OS platforms.
Yep it's in Windows, been there since NT 5.1 if you were one of the 'in-crowd' but it wasn't exposed until Vista - MKLINK command. If you want the code for XP (NT5.2) go to bottom of this page - the source is there too http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...sion.html#3740

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Also, how do you manage the USER actions? If I have books all over the filesystem, how does the USER, remember/know WHICH are known to calibre (since Calibre is no longer the Manager, but has been reduced to a simple auditor of user mis-actions)
The books (formats, cover and opf) are stored in the Calibre folders in the normal fashion. I am NOT doing what some people do with metadata.db - ie have Calibre access the data via symbolic links.

Calibre maintains a standard set of Calibre Library folders with standard contents in the standard way, nothing is added to, changed in or deleted from those folders other than via bog standard Calibre. But the book folders are the target of the of the folder symlinks that are maintained and used by the software I have written.

For my purposes the Calibre Library/Author/Title folders are the database, I'm primarily interested in the data that's IN my 'books' rather than the data ABOUT my books.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-01-2013 at 12:25 PM.