View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Maybe because there's no need to change the Calibre code in order to achieve that objective.

This programmer simply layers folder symlinks onto Calibre's Library/Author/Title folder structure to create an entirely different view of the same data. No need to touch any Calibre code and no need to store the data twice.

Pretty sure that each of the desktop environments on which Calibre executes will support folder symlinks.

Why would I change someone else's code to do something for which it wasn't designed, especially when there's an alternative loosely couple solution sitting there waiting to be used. Real programmers are inherently lazy.

BR
Does symlinks even exist for Windows?
Remember, calibre runs on 3 OS platforms.

Also, how do you manage the USER actions? If I have books all over the filesystem, how does the USER, remember/know WHICH are known to calibre (since Calibre is no longer the Manager, but has been reduced to a simple auditor of user mis-actions)

If I had MY way, this could be resolved by having a system user/owner/process "Calibre" running. You pass files to Calibre, it take ownership, and files them in its user space (Look at BOINC for examples).