View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
While that video is not exactly wrong, I can't say I like it as advice.
Perhaps it wasn't the greatest video to use as an example, it was just the first that I came across that seemed to cover all the bases.

Quote:
The simplest reason is that there is no reason to leave the laptop off while running the charge part of the calibration.
Maybe his thinking is that it will charge faster if the laptop is off. I'm not sure if this is true, it might depend on the particular laptop.

Quote:
The other problem is the advice to leave the charger on some extra time after the battery reads full. This is useless. When the charger determines a Li-Ion battery is full, it turns off.
I've seen lots of advice that says to leave the battery charging for an hour or two after it reaches 100%. I think the thinking behind this is because the device, which shows the percentage figure, may not have yet learnt what a full charge is for your battery, so it might be saying that it's 100% when in fact it's only 98%. Remember the whole point of calibration is to teach the device the true upper and lower limits of your particular battery.

Quote:
For an ereader, it is a bit a harder. Running the battery down takes time. You can't just load a video and leave it running. You need to sit there tapping the screen to use power. Continuously running WiFi syncs would also do it. But using the browser might be the quickest way. That will run the WiFi and will use a lot of CPU downloading and drawing the screen. And if the pages are long and need a lot of scrolling, that should use a lot of power as well.
It doesn't really matter how fast you discharge the battery while you're doing the calibration, you can just use the device as normal. Of course with an e-reader this might take a few weeks or more! If you want to speed the process up then something that used WIFI and some processing would probably do the trick. I haven't played with the Kobo browser much, but if it supports Javascript then it should be pretty easy to make a web page that does something causes lots of processing and WIFI usage. Maybe some animation or a scrolling Twitter feed?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote