View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Battery Calibration

I've had several people PM me asking about battery calibration (why and how). I thought I'd create this to explain things.

The battery inside your e-reader doesn't tell the e-reader what percentage of "juice" it has left, instead your e-reader has to learn the characteristics of your particular battery. In order to help your e-reader learn about your battery you need to "calibrate" the battery, which teaches the e-reader the limits of your particular battery. This isn't unique to Kobo, any device that uses lithium-ion batteries (mobile phones, laptops, tablets, etc) can benefit from this.

For information on battery calibration please read Battery Calibration

If you would like to view a short video explaining how to calibrate a battery please view:

Ideally you should have done this as soon as you received your e-reader, but even if you've charged it several times it's still worth doing. It also might be worth doing once every 3 or 4 months too.

Note that this won't make your battery last longer, it's all to do with teaching your e-reader the characteristics of your particular battery so it can better display battery percentage figures. Why is this important? Well without it your e-reader might tell you that the battery is at 50% when in fact it's at 70%, causing you to get upset because you think the battery isn't lasting as long as it should be.

Also, the discharge curve for lithium-ion batteries isn't linear; it doesn't start at 100% and then drop x% for each time period (i.e. 5% for each hour of use). Instead what you'll probably see is it will sit at (or near) 100% for a while and then slowly drop off until it gets to a certain point where it will drop quickly. Similar to this:

If you want to learn about how to make lithium-ion batteries last longer then have a read of How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries

Note: I'm not an expert on batteries, but this is something that I've always done with lithium-ion batteries and it has always worked well for me.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote