View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Please links giving this information... or is this the usual rumour/disinformation/I hate that company posting... and how does later OS versions not working on older gear differ for Android tablets/phones, PCs etc... I've got an Android tablet that won't go beyond 2.2 and many older PCs choke on later Win versions...

I suppose we could declare a moratorium on all software upgrades that take advantage of more modern hardware...
The difference is that with iOS, it is a "forced march" to upgrade. "Forced march" may be it tiny bit of an exaggeration, but Apple does not make it easy for one to ignore the fact that an upgrade is available. Their ecosystem is designed to move people up to the next version. There's a reason that reports compiled days/weeks after an Apple OS update show that significant percentage of people have upgraded.

The "nagging" of the notification flag on the settings icon (that an OS update is available) is simply that...nagging.

If you accidentally upgrade there is no supported way to downgrade back. iOS 4.x and 5.x on an iPod Touch 4G runs fine. But iOS 6.x brings many 4G iPod Touches to nearly being unusable.

What are these people to do? Apple's recommendation is that they buy a 5th gen iPod Touch.

Some applaud Apple for "supporting" previous generations of hardware when updating the OS, but they don't realize that the overall usability and ownership experience gets downgraded. One update too many and the device becomes seriously hamstrung...which then "justifies" buying Apple's latest and greatest version in spite of the fact that were it not for upgrading to that OS version, the device would still have plenty of life remaining.

Out of all the Android devices that I've owned, only those attempting to emulate Apple's ecosystem (Amazon Kindle Fire, B&N Nook Color) have required, nagged, harassed me into upgrading.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote