View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
This book separated the wheat from the chaff (the sci-fi fans from the others).

Being chaff myself, I tried twice, but could not get past the first paragraph.

The stumbling block for this particular chaff (which probably makes you wheat crazy with anticipation) was the very first paragraph:

Quote:
"The cavern was cold, even in the slow energy flux of the translator's alien mechanisms. The quarx did not feel the near-absolute-zero cold, but was aware of it, as it awakened to the silence of a still world. Its first impression was not of place but of time, vast corridors of time through which it had floated in an almost coffinlike existence."
"Slow energy flux?" "Translator's alien mechanisms?" "Quarx?" "Corridors of time?" What are those things? Re-read that paragraph! Oops, must not be concentrating, didn't get it on the second read. Maybe I should read something light [pushed Menu button].

Repeat the following day. Pass over that first paragraph because I'm clearly an ignoramus. Oops, stumbling again on "cup of electrons in the hands of an angel." What is being portrayed. High voltage? Does it make a difference that an angel is holding the cup? How do the electrons stay in the cup? Jeez, I'm a turd. Either dismally ignorant of sci-fi terms and metaphors, or too picky in wanting to picture what I'm reading.

Hope all you wheat enjoyed it. Thank You Jeffrey Carver for immediately separating out us chaff.

Last edited by jj2me; 04-25-2009 at 07:20 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote