View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the choice between giving up the CyBook or the iPod, it would be the iPod without hesitation. The iPod is a useful "toy"; the CyBook is an essential part of my life .
I can't criticize your take on your CyBook, and its relation to your life, but I'll guarantee you that the iPod is no toy.

It's a portable music library. I'm pretty serious about music. Particularly serious music. I've done the Ring Cycle twice, & will do it again. Seen Copland conduct the Chicago Symphony, not to mention Solti & Muti. And the best preparation for any concert or performance is to download whatever is being performed to my ipod, and couple it with lectures from outfits like The Teaching Company.

It's a portable college. I've listened to hours upon hours of lectures from the Teaching Company, on my ipod - music, religion, theatre, history - you name it.

It's a portable storyteller. I have audiobooks galore. If you have merely read Harry Potter, and not listened to Jim Dale's audiobook reading, you have not really enjoyed yourself as much as you might think. And if you have read Angela's Ashes, but not heard McCourt reading it, there's more you've missed.

It's a portable encyclopedia. Any time I want to know something, I have all this knowledge right in my pocket, waiting to be learned.

And it's a portable library. I'm speaking as a bookworm from the time I was, well, I dunno. I can't remember not being able to read. Probably since I was three or four. I've read in tents and in trees and under the blankets with a flashlight. I'm one of those guys who reads several books at a time, stashed strategically around the house, in my briefcase, & at work. In fact, the hardest part of using my 505 is that I have to remember to haul it around with me. It tends to stay by my easy chair. But my ipod, in it's iphone incarnation, spends more & more time following me around...

Do don't dis the iPod. It is a very versatile tool for educated living.

Last edited by Harmon; 04-14-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote