View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
So it sounds like the only change is a slight cosmetic one, the built in illumination (which should be pretty nifty) and they somehow managed to make it just a hair lighter (about half an ounce, or about 8% lighter). It doesn't look like there are any changes to the processor, memory, storage, battery, dimensions or screen. I guess a perk is that the cover I have should fit it. I am pretty dissapointed that it looks like they made absolutely no other changes to it...and on top of that are asking for what is in effect a $40/40% premium for just front lighting. If they had at least made some other minor changes, like increasing storage space even, I think it might be worth it. However, if nothing else, a nice LED book light is about $25...which I don't think means that the built in lighting is really worth commading a $40 premium.

All that said, I'll give it 6 months or a year and probably get a refurb then or something similar once the price dips to $100 or less. It would be a nice feature, and I can't complain about any weight reduction (not that I think my nook ST is heavy, but it can always be lighter)...but I already have a nice LED book light, even if it isn't as convenient as having it built in.

That and I can't help wondering if there is going to be a fully on "revamp" in the next 4-8 months anyway as this seems really like a quick interim release to try to muscle more of Amazon's Kindle market, and not what the next nook is really going to be (though I kind of hope they keep the same form factor/size in the next nook as I really like the nook ST's dimensions and form factor).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote