Thread: jetBook screen
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #27
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahaml View Post
The problem with holding the jetBook towards a lamp is the glare. As the source of light falls off axis, I also find that the screen is noticeably unevenly lit, which is annoying and distracting to me.
I have not yet experienced an uneven lighting presence on the Jetbook screen in any lighting condition. To my eyes the surface is completely uniform. Glare is a problem with every device, but one that can be dealt with.

Quote:
I would contend that this situation arises more often than we may think. For example, right now, I am sitting at my desk. My lamp is roughly 3 feet away, and this particular lamp's bulb is about 1 foot off the surface of the desk. Those of you fresher at trigonometry can calculate for me what the angle of incidence is. Suffice to say, you may be placed into compromising situations where the angle of incidence is much greater than you realize more often than you think. At this angle, the brightness of the jetBook screen is subtly compromised. A light blue sheet of paper with black text I have on my desk is much easier on the eyes. Black text on white paper - goes without saying.
Is it legible? Absolutely. However, it leaves me wanting. I would much rather read off of my monitor.
Using any device with current technology is a compromise. Why do you think many contributors at MR have more than one? One should always use the tool that best fits the situation. For extreme low light you want a backlight screen, period. Of course you could employ a book light but that would also be a compromise (see below). For low light you probably want to stick with a paper book. In general and on their own one of the current reading devices can do well in medium and bright light, whereas a paper book may be too bright. But then you could use sunglasses, couldn't you? Always use the best tool.

Quote:
As far as the blue light spectrum of the LED light, one might keep in mind that color balance changes all the time and we don't always realize it. Light is very blue in the shade. Most of us have tungsten lightbulbs at home, which are definitely orange. We often have flourescent lights at work, which are green tinged. I suspect your eyes could quickly adapt to the blue LED light if you use it well away from tungsten light sources, which exacerbate the contrast in color temperature.
LED light has made significant strides. It has only recently been developed white enough to use as backlights in LCD televisions and monitors. The blue LED I referred to is, in fact, quite well toward the blue range, well above 9000ēK. These are/were very prevalent in book lights. Very unpleasant. I don't know if the newer ones are used in book lights. Plus LED lighting is very directional. One of these shining from the side/top on a book gave me very uneven lighting, necessitating the constant adjusting of its position. My Daylight24, which employs a cold cathode tube is, by far, the best book light I have ever seen. Alas it is too big to attach to the Jetbook.

Last edited by akira28; 08-22-2009 at 09:48 AM.