Thread: jetBook screen
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #22
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahaml View Post
The point is that light can fall on a pBook (or e-ink, I presume) at just about any angle and the page will still be reasonably lit. However, with the jetBook, the brightness of the screen falls disproportionately as the angle of the source of light falls to the sides of the reader. In other words the brightness of the screen is determined by the angle the light is coming from, not the angle your eyes are to the screen. This is not what we typically expect or experience when considering "viewing angles" in a conventional backlit device.

The screen is still more than functional but it doesn't exude the same paper-like quality of an e-ink screen. Given the price discrepancy, I don't regret the choice. Competition is good, and one of these days, someone will make a reader that is truly superior to the real deal.
I myself have remarked on way light can affect the screen. However, I have read from others who have stated the Jetbook is much easier to read than an e-ink device in low light because of its reflective properties. Neither the Jetbook or e-Ink do as well as paper because the background is not white to begin with. Remember a book's white page appears white because of it's reflective properties. But with anything you read from you will want to hold it towards the light anyway.

From my experience with an e-ink device, what makes the Jetbook better to read with in low light (or any light) is the contrast between text, which is much blacker, and the lighter background (assuming you hold it towards the light). The older your eyes get the more you will appreciate this higher contrast.