Thread: jetBook screen
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #19
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahaml View Post
The problem with the jetBook display, IMO, is that the brightness varies greatly based on the angle of incidence of the light source. If the light source is off axis, the brightness of the screen drops disproportionately fast. Viewing angle is fine if the light source remains on axis. E-ink does not have this issue.

The issue is this: I rarely read off axis. After all, I'm holding the device in my hand, why would I hold it significantly off axis? I can angle it directly towards my eyes with a slight twist of the wrist. The problem is if you're reading from a relatively point source of light like a small lamp. The brightness of the screen then varies greatly based on the angle that the device is from the light source. This has nothing to do with viewing the device off axis. For example, if you sit in a room with omnidirectional lighting (say a room with a glass wall in the shade during the day) and then view the device from all manner of angles, you will find that the screen stays well lit from any off axis angle you choose. However, if you are reading by the light of a lamp, you will find that the brightness of the screen will grow bright and grow dim based on the angle of the light from the lamp, not on the angle of your eyes on the screen. This means that for best visibility from a lamp, the lamp must be shining over your shoulder.

I will try to post pictures that illustrate this if I get a chance.
Yes, that makes sense. I've had the same experience with having to vary the screen angle for best lighting, and sometimes I even turn the screen at a funny angle (compared to my eyes) so that it is lit well. This mostly in low-light ("lamp") situations. Makes sense that Ectaco sells an earlight accessory... maybe I'll get one of those.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote