View Single Post
Old 10-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Mentat
Mentat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Need a New Sci Fi Author

Hello there, fellow bibliophiles

I'm looking for another science fiction author to fall in love with. My favorite is Ursula K Leguin, and I also love the Dune novels and many of Orson Scott Cards books. The thing is, I don't really like science fiction that focuses on the technology or spaceships. It's fine to have those elements, but not to center around them.

Classics that have fallen somewhat flat for me include the following: Ringworld (Niven), Rendezvous with Rama (Clarke), The Other End of Time (Pohl), Eon (Bear).... Having said that, I very much liked Darwin's Radio/Children, by Bear. I also enjoyed The Singers of Time, by Jack Williamson and Frederik Pohl.

I'm really not sure what it is that makes the difference. I know I love the Progenitor trope, but David Brin's "Uplift" series didn't do it for me. The "Culture" books by Banks had great potential... I mainly stopped reading because of the very vulgar writing style, but also because it was just much... I don't know... "grittier" than I wanted(?)

Can anyone suggest an author or series that I might enjoy diving into? My most recent sci-fi book that I really liked was "Promise of the Child", by Tom Toner, but the ending (the revelations of what's going on, and what one of the characters is) was downright stupid. I was very disappointed, since I adore the idea of the immortals and of the mix-breed humanoids and so much else that the book offered. It just lost me in the last quarter, somewhat.

Help!
Mentat is offline   Reply With Quote