View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #41
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Well, mobi is a problem for them because they are aggressively trying to get into Amazon. Which brings up another point. To me, right now if I owned Smash and had a choice to spend my resources on EPub uploads, or getting Amazon as a distribution partner, I would choose to work on Amazon.
That is an interesting one, isn't it. Do you submit to the dominant force in the market and become just another minor feed in its multiple gaping maws, or do you try to make a place for yourself outside that domination? The former may ensure some money for a while, but the risk is making yourself redundant and pointless. Many authors are already going directly and exclusively to Amazon, why would they need Smashwords? As I see it (and I accept that this is only an inexperienced view), authors currently go to Smashwords in order to be published everywhere else, if Amazon was their only/primary concern then that's where they'd concentrate their efforts (as many already do).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote