View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
gplauche
gplauche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
gplauche, I thought the same thing when I first started using Calibre, but as I've used it now for quite a while, I wouldn't have it any other way than the way it is.

I make extensive use of the tagging system. All my science fiction books are tagged science fiction, all my fantasy books are fantasy, etc. I can search/filter by tags and now you can even save a complex search.

and yes... ditto.
That's not my issue. I like that aspect of Calibre very much. It's just that the way Calibre watches, manages and organizes folders is incompatible with my use of Mendeley Desktop as a research, bibliographic, and citation tool. I want to use Calibre for all of my pdfs and ebooks, because it does important things Mendeley does not (e.g., send to device, conversion to epub, etc.). But I want to use Mendeley just for my nonfiction, or more specifically academic-related nonfiction, documents; it offers full bibliographic information for multiple academic types of publications, citations in multiple formats, a web interface, syncing with an online library/database, and social networking.

To use both Calibre and Mendeley my only options currently are: 1) have them watch and manage the same general documents folder, which has the negative consequence of all of my pdfs and ebooks, not just (academic) nonfiction), cluttering up Mendeley's library and limiting my use of Mendeley's more flexible folder structure options, or 2) maintaining two copies of all my (academic) nonfiction document files and having Calibre and Mendeley watch and manage completely separate folders. Neither option is optimum. I don't have a big budget for file storage space.

If Calibre could just watch and manage multiple folders, that would give me most of the functionality I want. The other stuff is less important. I'm not sure the Save to Disk feature is as convenient as simply CTRL+C/CTRL+V or Drag & Drop of folders from one tab/window to another but, like I said, this aspect of folder structure is less important to me.

Having glanced through other threads on the topic, let me say I'm not trying to criticize or insult Kovid or anyone else. I'm just making a feature request with what I think is at least one novel reason for it: side-by-side compatibility with other programs that do similar but different and necessary things.
gplauche is offline   Reply With Quote