View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
If you compose in Word, with its comprehensive footnote capabilities, a Calibre conversion to EPUB does a pretty good job of constructing functional links.

But foot/end notes are a blasted nuisance when reading an eBook. I try to confine them to academic references - necessary for completeness, but rarely actually read! Anything else that is worth reading can go in the text flow. We should design eBooks, not facsimiles of printed ones. (I understand perfectly that our customers may not agree :-)
I don't agree. Just because they 'forgot' to properly implement footnotes in the ePUB specs is not a reason not to use them. I still use them in the hopes that in the future there will be proper support. Some readers automatically uses popups for proper designed footnotes. If this get supported, my ePUBs are 'done'. If I put it in the text flow, I need to search for it and then convert. Even as an endnote they work (with back-link of course). The reader can choose to read them or ignore it. When it is 'in flow', it disrupts the text and cannot easily be skipped.

I use the same policy for small-caps. I use the font-variant in the hopes that the readers will finally support it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote