View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #196
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
After tinkering with different memory cards in my Camera I tried the same thing with the reader. I had some cheap standard SD-cards and some Ultra II SD-Cards form Sandisk.
In my opinion, page turning times got a little quicker by using faster cards. I then tried an Ultra II Memory-Stick and again had the feeling that it was a little quicker than the SD-Card. Probably because Memory-Stick system is from Sony, so they can probably implement the hardware better.

Ok, here's the one that really wowed me:
Internal memory is usually faster than any external memory (see also buffer in cameras). I'm often extracting jpgs from pdfs and it takes about 7 secs to turn a page (go to the next picture) from an Ultra II Memory-Stick. When I placed the jpgs into the internal reader memory, I got down to 3-4 secs which is only half the time.

I'm not sure if that was obvious. I latently knew (at least from my camera where burst mode provides better rates with faster memory) but never tried before. So this might help others, too.

PS: Kartu, I think PRS+ is really awesome, too. (German usage manual uploaded)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote