View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
- is it possible to reduce the greyed-out portion of the cover, to see more of the illustration ? i think it is worth it. also, take care with black text on a grey background, it might not be the most legible choice. maybe use a lighter grey, or use a black background and white text instead.
Yes, I should give a bit more work to the cover, this one was just a quick thing.

Quote:
- i'm not sure whether this is your choice or mobipocket, but i think a serif font is much nicer for reading longer texts, and particularly here the sans serif seems out of place to me.
I can tell you it's not my choice at all. There is nothing in the file that forces a sans-serif font. As a matter of fact, I have a serif font configured in my Cybook, so I read this book (and all other books) with a serif font. Change the font in your mobipocket reader

Quote:
- i'm curious also about the thumbnail images in the body of the text ; why not include the full-size versions ? they are so stunning it's a shame not to be able to appreciate them unless you click on the link. and while i'm reading, i don't like to have to navigate back and forth very much, i'd rather have the illustrations linearly in the text. this shouldn't make any difference in the weight of the file, is there another reason you made this choice ?
There are two main reasons:

1. The images being large, they usually take a whole screen (at least the portrait-oriented ones, and in the next version I plan to have landscape images rotated, anyway), so they are not so much "in line". The page before the image is half blank and sometimes the page with the image has a single line of text. This is with a 600x800 screen.

2. With the current version of mobiperl (what I use to create mobipocket files), if an image is referenced multiple times, it gets included in the mobi file also multiple times. So including the full-size image in line with every language version would make the file huge. Including the whole set of thumbnails multiple times is much more acceptable.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote