View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #5876
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I still have trouble hearing anything other than kway when I read quay. I do manage to pronounce it correctly (key) when necessary though.
As did I until I was in Singapore once and asked a taxi driver to take me to Clark'S Kway. He made a point of correcting me once he figured out what I was talking about.

I have a long history of mispronouncing words I have only read but not heard. It's even more embarrassing when other people assume my pronunciation is correct and begin pronouncing the word the same errant way I do.

For about two months in elementary school all the boys were talking about vag-(rhymes with fag)-in-(rhymes with fin)-as-(pronounced ahs) because I had only read the word, and never heard it.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote