View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #699
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I don't think that you can just "binary-patch" u-boot images, I think there's a CRC32 (or whatever other) checksum or something... I vaguely remember that I had to recompile u-boot images if I even wanted to change a single character in a path. I may be wrong though.
You are probably right. I will try to patch the source and rebuild it. I want ID info with lots of zeros, so it is obvious that it needs to be changed from the DIAGS settings menu (or SSH "idme -d" command). I have a working one, but it has MY idme vars in it...

It only needs serial and pcbsn to boot. It "permanently" changed those values on my demo K4 (which I used to test it because that u-boot has K4 values in it). Now I have a pair of K4s with the same serial and pcbsn. I should change it back before they "phone home".

@knc1: The u-boot running on the kindle does not have access to environment variables on the host PC, where MfgTool was running when it pushed the hacked u-boot to the kindle. I was planning to try appending a text config file to the u-boot image file though (and adjusting the flash header length to compensate, so it all gets sent over USB). I hope the CRC check does not use the flash header length...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-16-2012 at 01:12 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote