View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 03:21 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Treating it as a compound is historically correct, it seems, as it grew from 'ii'. And that's why the Taalunie treats it as such and sorts like you across the border do . The 'ii' roots are still to be heard in places where it is pronounced 'ie' and not 'ei', like in the place name 'Wijchen', pronounced 'Wiegen', not 'Weigen'. Still, it is different from the other dipthongs in the way it's capitalized, as both I and J must be capitalized; it's 'IJzer', not 'Ijzer'.

Yep, like they say, 'Two nations devided by a common language' (said of the UK and the USA, but Belgium and the Netherlands fit too...)
Yet, you'll see Ijzer and IJzer... I must admit, since I've left school, I've not kept up with the changing rules... I don't even know if it's pannenkoek or pannekoek anymore... And personally, I don't give a damn.... I never was very good at Dutch anyway
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote