View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I will nominate two works to be read together as one nomination: Letters by Heloise and Pierre Abelard and Historia Calamitatum by Pierre Abelard. I group them because they are relevant to each other and are both rather short.

Letters are their letters to each other, while Historia Calamitatum is Abelard's autobiography of sorts.

ETA - To give a little more context: They lived in eleventh and twelfth century France, and Abelard was a promising intellectual of noble descent while Heloise was a nun with a renowned intellect.
I will second your choice sun surfer. It makes a very demanding reading, we studied some of it in high school. It is high high high. It is about love, sin, women elevated by men (it is very much out of our times), so it is very interesting. We all could learn from it. If chosen, I will read it. Gutenberg carries it. I have a great synthesis by Duby, the great French medioevalist. Alas, I have it in French and in Italian.

Last edited by beppe; 08-24-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Duby, not Dufy. iPad is really tricky
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote