View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
Would you share what types of chargers you "cobbled-together" to achieve this end?
12 volt DC adapters are possibly the MOST common and I easily found several in my collection that worked while the devices they used to power are long gone. Then I went to the thrift store and got phone power supplies that had the tip that fits the eDGe (took my edge with me), for $1 each.

I didn't care if THAT power supply worked, only the cord and tip!

Then connected the cut-off cord and tip to the good 12 volt power supply, and I get a nice long cord on an "eDGe power supply". Obviously this takes a solder station, solder, shrink tubing and a volt meter to ensure you're not joining the cables backwards.

Sorry if you thought "cobble together" meant I had a part # for a new one. Others have part numbers they've purchased, but those invariably involve those multi-connect tips, so that one power supply can "fit all products" using a slider or selector for the voltage. Those tend to come loose, and the supplies cost from $15 to $29 and tend to be quite large because they have transformers -- they're not "switching" power supplies.

My solution cost me about $1 each, and I found several that were easy to carry because they were designed to provide one voltage and are switching.

It seems the trick to finding the exact one-voltage supply for an eDGe is that the connector is VERY small for 12 volts at 1 amp. Entourage no doubt used that connector because they didn't need that much current, and the body of the receptacle inside the unit is much larger than what you see outside and using a larger receptacle was a space issue.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote