View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #53
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
To me, it fails to answer a simple question: If I'm not interested in the Metro interface, why would I want to upgrade? Windows 7 works fine.
If you have Windows 7 and are happy with Windows 7, then there is no need to upgrade. I upgraded because Microsoft was offering the professional version on the cheap and figured that I should learn how the new version of Windows is put together. (I'm frequently called upon to deal with other people's and my employer's computer issues.)

Quote:
If I were to by a new PC now, I would buy it with Windows 7 rather than 8. I know it works, I know it has drivers for everything I need, and why take the risk with a new OS?
I went that route with XP around the time Windows 7 was introduced, and can understand why people would do that.

On the other hand, you are making a decision that will impact future computer use. It is easier to master software that you stick with for a long time and it certainly is more comforting to use the same old thing. Yet it does make upgrading more of a hassle if you do so down the road. There are more things to relearn at one time, partially because there will be more significant changes in the OS and partially because you'll likely end up upgrading a lot more software at one time.