View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Supreme Court doesn't look at a particular plaintiff, but rather looks at, and in some cases interprets, the merits of the case given the laws that govern the situation. It's part of that pesky three tier division of powers between the courts, the executive, and legislative branches of government. The solution (which won't help this person) is to change the law.

What struck me is how mean spirited the media companies are in cases like this. They could have accepted the lower court's ruling to decrease the fine to $200, rather than appeal. The issue the Supreme Court looked at was actually whether the appellate court's decision to grant the appeal was lawful.

(I may live in Canada now, but I spent 48 years in the US)
taming is offline   Reply With Quote