Thread: Clara HD Kobo Clara Impressions
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
StephenCM
StephenCM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
To answer some questions, I'm currently using firmware version 4.15.12920 (b231bfea36 5/27/19) . (I have always had Overdrive-enabled firmware, I don't know what version range that is, but I believe it puts a lower bound on the versions I've ever had.)

Actually I work in software for a living, specifically real-time embedded firmware. Which doesn't make me any better or worse than anybody else but yes it actually does make me somewhat qualified to comment on technical matters. I realize there are all sorts of factors related to UI responsiveness and page turn speed not the least of which are e-ink technology and power use. And I realize that possibly all my page turn problems are not related to any of that but to my high expectations of "tap-to-turn" and maybe it's just the touch-screen that's letting me down.

You know what though, I hack around with software all day for my job. When I'm relaxing and reading a book, I want something that "just works". I don't want to have to worry about what format my ebook is in, I expect it to "just work". (I assume Calibre will convert appropriately.) If Rakuten can't provide me a "just works" experience, if I have to hack it and side-load firmware to make it a usable experience, then no I am not a satisfied user.

Look, I'm not trying to be argumentative, or a troll. I'm just trying to relate my not fully satisfied experience with the device.
StephenCM is offline   Reply With Quote