View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Usually, if such things are on purpose, the author makes it clear that it was on purpose, if only to avoid the reactions that started this thread. Of course, I haven't read the book so it could be that he does make it clear, or the book is so full of minor differences that it should be clear. Let's face it, the name of the boat on Gilligan's Island is a piece of TV trivia that you aren't going to know off the top of your head unless you are a Gilligan's Island fan.
Did not know it was SF when I originally responded with the suggestion that it was a deliberate mistake by the character, not the author. But now with the book being described as SF/alternate universe, it has to be deliberate, as DiapDealer noted.

It doesn't need to be made clear that it's on purpose, especially with that SF context, because if a reader doesn't get the botched reference, no harm done; if the reader does get it, it's an extra chuckle. Guppy for Minnow is kind of amusing.

Anyway, I think Gilligan's Island is a well-known bit of pop culture that most people are familiar with; after its initial run it's been in syndication forever.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote