View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I don't disagree with you, crane3. I've bought may good books from Baen and they used to be $5....but they were the same kind of quality that I look for. These Amazon Indie authors (are they really Indie if Amazon is behind them, marketing for them?) are NOT in the same league. Even, admittedly, I have enjoyed them.

It's like they stick to the meat of a story. They aren't bringing in 10 plot lines and weaving them together into an amazing finale. They aren't going into detail over the weapons specs of the tactics. They aren't throwing in military history vignettes/lectures.

Now maybe it's just the dozen or so that I've read and I'm wrong to extrapolate.

However, I'm coming to the conclusion that the big publishers or the specialty publishers like Baen.....just to a much better job at vetting the stories or picking the best writers.

Amazon is doing a good job at marketing to genre readers like myself. These books are definitely in my sweet spot....which is probably why I've enjoyed them.
I tend to judge books on do I re-read the book or not. I will agree with you that most cheap indie books don't make that cut. I read them once, enjoy them, but don't feel a particular desire to re-read the book. On the other hand, I have several indie authors who do make the cut.

I will say that the majority of authors, both big name publisher and indie don't make the cut and the majority of authors who make the cut are with big name publishers. Some of that is that big name publishers tend to provide the extra polishing that most authors need. Some is that publishers provided the vetting. But I think that some is that the Indie movement simply hasn't been around long enough.

In general, the craft of story telling is what gets me to re-read a book rather than the plot. It's the journey, not the destination.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote