View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #98
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
If I bought a Mac, I would still have to search out protection. I don't have enough faith in the impenetrability of the Mac to go naked. Seems a bit like trying to find a "safe" town so that I can leave my home unlocked and weld my car's key into the ignition.
You wouldn't be going naked. Apple include a regularly updated kill list for malware.

Really there's no difference in a Mac or a PC getting malware. With the exception of drive by downloads, which both platforms can and do suffer from due to flaws in 3rd party software along with an exploit in the platform itself.

The way I think most people end up infected is downloading and running a trojan themselves and there's little Apple/MS or AV firms can do against that until the trojan becomes known and they can update kill lists.

One argument in favour of AV though is if they include usable/decent heuristics rather than relying solely on scan strings. Or, if the AV firm reacts quicker than Apple (and MS if they now do the same in win8?) do to new threats and updating the kill strings.

I think as the mac user base grows, so will the time people spend finding exploits and selling them on the black market. This will eventually result in parity with windows for the amount of malware targeting their respective users.

When choosing between Mac/PC, malware really should be the least important factor imo.