View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 06:18 AM   #933
Alissa1651
Enthusiast
Alissa1651 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app for iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The discussion was some months ago. Someone complained about partial reviews, so I looked to see why.

If I remember correctly, if the review exceeded the API character limit, Goodreads added some dots or something to the end. As a first try, if this is detected report it and, optionally, don't download the review if it already exists. The latter shouldn't be to hard. The reporting might be as there is nothing that currently reports the status at the end of a shelf sync. It might be possible on the sync dialog (I don't know if the review has been retrieved at this point), but how to show it would be the question.

Again, I'll think about it, but I'm not promising anything.
Thank you, yes, GR adds some dots, something like [...]. I turned off the import review feature because the character limit is stringent and I've already manually added lots of reviews and I wouldn't want to do it again (though if I update them on GR, and forget to update them on Calibre, it would take too much time to find out, and I leave them out of date on Calibre).

If the plugin could detect and report the dots, and have an option not to download the review if it already exists (or even better, not to download the review if it exceeds the GR character limit. This would take care of all the updates on shorter reviews), it would be awesome. If the reporting is a problem, I wonder if a search for "read" books which also "exceed the GR limit" and (optionally) have "no comment text" could be feasible. That would tell me exactly which books I've reviewed on GR that have no text on Calibre. I don't know if there is a way to flag the books that have a review which exceeds the limit, but that would be the discriminant.

I hope you'll address the issue sometime in the future (and I'm available for any analysis/testing work), but of course, thank you for all your great work on the plugin!
Alissa1651 is offline   Reply With Quote