View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #24
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I think Second Chance will (and should) win this month. If any month was a foregone conclusion it should be this one, but we'll see. Anyway, I'll play along with the other non-second-chance nominations this month just in case:

I'll nominate "Adventure/Travel".

I'll third "Classic".

I'll nominate "Major Award Winners" (non-genre major awards such as Nobel, Pulitzer, Man Booker, etc...finalised list to be determined if category wins).

I'll be honest - I'm hesitant of any Award Winner category, but I nominated this because if an Award Winner category wins I'd rather it be this one. I'm hesitant of any of them for a few reasons. First of all if it includes genre then it just becomes a genre freeforall month. But whether or not it includes genre, if too many awards are allowed it becomes useless as there's so many random awards that one can often find some award given to almost any halfway known book. The best way is non-genre and restricted to major awards, but even then, the first year of it would be fun, but then subsequently we'd find ourselves looking at the same possible books to nominate year after year and it could grow old fast.

I also might've supported "Modern Fiction" instead but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Is it literally any modern fiction? If so, then it's really like a FreeForAll sans classics and non-fiction and also may just produce a lot of genre nominations. And what if any kind of range/cut-off date would there be?

Or is it supposed to be modern dramatic fiction; i.e. realistic plots, with no crazy sci-fi/fantasy or thrillers, etc.? Generally the category "modern fiction" I think would be taken in this way, being a way to describe newer books that don't fit into genre moulds, but I didn't want to assume. If I was sure it meant this I would've supported it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote