View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
But seriously...why does this always seem to come up? In my experience, the desire "to read" is sparked long before a child starts being assigned "chore fiction" to read in school. And I've yet to meet the child whose passion for reading was extinguished by academic reading assignments.
I have. Specifically, my own brother who just started reading for pleasure in the last couple of years - after having learned to hate reading in junior high school (when the chore reading starts; prior to that, he was into the Hardy Boys for his reading pleasure) almost 30 years ago.

Hell, junior high and high school almost extinguished my own love of reading - but, frankly, I only just barely passed English in those days because I was unwilling to give up reading for pleasure in order to read and dissect the crap (several Shakespeare plays, Catcher in the Rye, and a couple others I can, fortunately, no longer remember), mainly only passing because we also did "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Lord of the Flies", which were actually *good* (at least at the time I was reading them; they were mostly ruined by the dissection in class ).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote