View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzaku View Post
<snip>
Most contemporary books will need to be purchased The contemporary book I just bought from Sony Connect (a NYT best seller title) is "DRM managed" -- which means I can read it on my reader, but not share it with you. Copyright violations, income theft, etc. DRM managed books are encoded to recognize your reader and will only open on the correct device. (I'm fuzzy on the details, but the outcome is certain -- you can't share books you pay for.)

This is obviously a serious disadvantage for people who like to read a book and then pass it to their friends, donate it, or sell it to a used bookseller. ...
Brooks,

Contrary to what you've written, there is a way of sharing Sony-DRM books, on up to 6 devices (Windows PC's and/or Reader devices) simultaneously. There are other threads in this forum discussing it. Sony's scheme still has drawbacks (a device can't be "authorized" to more than one account at a time*, and there is still no mechanism to donate or re-sell), but you CAN share your DRM'ed e-Books.

*This means that I can't switch back-and forth at will between a book that I've bought from the Sony store and one that you've "loaned" me. A reader would have to be "authorized" to the correct account every time I want to switch between reading books purchased under separate accounts.

Last edited by curtw; 01-16-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: clarification
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote