View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I agree with all of the above. I’m away from home and don’t have my notebook with me, but both the references to Jews and the class condescension were unpleasant. The reference to “little Mr Thripp” and his speech with its dropped aitches and his saying “reely” were very grating. On the other hand both Lord Peter and his mother were kind and caring towards old Mrs Thripp - noblesse oblige I suppose. Unpleasant though it is, I believe it to be an accurate reflection of what people thought and said at the time and well after it.

No-one has mentioned the flashback to the Great War, which I think was important for several reasons: it explained why Lord Peter was so highly strung, with his rather forced jollity, and it also told us a lot about the close relationship between him and Bunter.

Apart from her reference to the lower middle class looking like sheeps heads (I think that’s what she said about the jury at the inquest), I liked the Dowager Duchess a lot. She was kind, supportive and very quick on the uptake. I particularly enjoyed her working out what her son had been promising to the American businessman and airily referring to it when Lord Peter eventually arrived.

So, some enjoyment to be had, but a book with many flaws.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote