View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
On a larger scale, however, if these judges really were deciding that foreign-made goods can't be resold without the original manufacturer getting a cut, then it would pretty much kill American manufacture. Why make goods over here that can be resold, when you could ship all your manufacture over there and get a cut whenever the goods are resold?

And I mean any goods, not just a few textbooks. The whole American secondary market for everything could be destroyed within a matter of hours.
The ruling that was made in the EU, if I recall correctly (and please anyone do correct me if I'm wrong) is that in situations where a manufacturer sold a product for a specific market, they were permitted to prevent its importation and resale into other markets. The case here revolved, I think, around things like Nike shoes, where they were being imported into the UK from the US (where they're cheaper) and resold. The courts ruled that it was legal for a manufacturer to maintain different regional markets. It's fine here to order such products from abroad as an individual, but not to import them for commercial resale.